Pages

Sunday 13 March 2011

Not June Cleaver

Today was a busy day for me.  I baked bread and rolls, tested the dishes for the coming week’s menu, and tried a couple of new dessert recipes.  My kitchen looked the worse for it too.

To my surprise, I find that I enjoy setting my kitchen in order after a busy day of cooking.  As a child I was the Princess of  Mess.  My room was always filled with the clutter that arises from an assortment of projects at different stages of completion, and I was always ill inclined to tidy it away.  It seems most unusual to me that I now find great satisfaction in standing back after everything is tidied away, enjoying my handiwork. 

I found myself singing while I cleaned today and thought “Oh no!  I’ve turned into June Cleaver!”  My husband rushed to set my mind at ease though, assuring me that I’m safe from that fate for a while yet.  The day has not yet arrived when I'll consider doing the vacuuming in pearls and high heels.  Thank goodness.

I may not be June Cleaver but I’m glad that I’ve learned to love this other side of cooking.  I need to:  I’m still mighty good at making a mess.

No comments: