Pages

Saturday 23 June 2012

News of the Day


One day a man was walking along a beach and noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it in the ocean.  Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”  The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.  The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”  “Son,” the man said, “Don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach, and hundreds of starfish!  You can’t make a difference.”  After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the man, he said…”I made a difference for that one.”  - Loren Elseley



I took a week off writing.  I missed it.  It's good to be back.

Not writing left me more time to read and, in doing so, I found some wonderful inspiration.  There are some remarkable people out there. 

 On Thursday morning I found this collection from Buzzfeed, of 21 pictures that will restore your faith in humanity.  What a perfect way to start the day!


Then I read a truly inspiring story at Huffington Post about The Nine Nanas; a group of women who kept their great kindness and generosity a secret for more than three decades.  These ordinary women provided me with a happy reminder that we're all capable of extending kindness and care to those around us.


I saw a video on Wimp.com about Nicholas Winthrop, a man who saved more than six hundred children during the second world war.  His secret heroism wasn't discovered until he was in his 80's.  


This remarkable man was also awarded the MBE for his contributions to the Abbeyfield Society, helping to provide affordable sheltered housing for elders 
throughout the United Kingdom.

Local heroes like Betty Anne Devitt inspire me too.  Betty Anne volunteered at our local food bank every day for more than two decades.  She never asked for thanks, never wanted a fanfare about what she did.  She just showed up, rolled up her sleeves, and pitched in, quietly lending a hand to many people within our community. I shared a piece about her here last May.



All these different and diverse people, all doing remarkable things, each in their own particular way:  

Why am I writing about them now?

I was feeling discouraged when I took my break, and their fine examples cheered my heart.

We all need a little inspiration now and then, and a reminder that it lies within all of us;
that potential to do something really great.

2 comments:

Terri said...

I always love your posts!

Aunt B said...

Thanks Terri. I'm glad that you're enjoying them. :)